All Drama All of the Time
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss and debate all subjects, including abortion, teen pregnancy, euthanasia, and politics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?

Go down 
+2
krystineM
futureshock
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
krystineM

krystineM

Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 6:34 pm

if i accepted new information that is given from you people here, youd then use that against me and start saying im changing my view on why i think this way about a certain subject.
anyways, i will be open minded about this topic..even though i think it was based on what peoples opinions are about why they ramain this way.
i do take into consideration that there are indeed other reasons as to why people remain homeless.
for some a mental illness, the possibility of being born into a homeless environment or low income family...
but i do think that a small part of the reason as well could be because they are comfortable with where they are.

sorry for not listening before if thats what some thought.

anyways im going out for dinner now Smile
my little one wants ribs! Razz
Back to top Go down
Jincks013

Jincks013

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 4:28 pm

don't worry about it Krystine. If changing opinions with new a valid information was a bad thing we'd all be stuck in the middle ages still..

Birch you are still a clueless cunt.. now I know you are a coward to.. I hope you enjoyed attacking a child who doesn't even post here.. fucking loser.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 10:08 am

my only thought is...
why have a debate forum about why someone thinks people are/ live a certain way, if no one can state their own thoughts as to why that is!?!
why debate at all, if everyone has to agree with everyone else's thought?

do any of these people know how a debate works?
You have to agree to disagree sometimes.
state your opinion, but ALSO accept others opinions on a debate too.
Not make everyone feel a certain way about a topic.

lol that's not debating!, thats Will to People-people born to think up their truths and make others believe in them too.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 10:09 am

Krystine, do you think there is a difference between facts and opinions?
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 10:31 am

fact: something that has evidence to back it up

opinion: something based on your feeling or thought on a subject without facts/solid evidence.

but you see, that is not what my question was.
Your beginning question never stated to back it up with facts on why people are poor/ remain poor generation after generation. It was basically asking How do they stay this way, not saying what facts state they remain this way.

Yet, since there were "facts" given in peoples replies, it doesnt matter what anyones opinion is if it doesnt have solid evidence, regarding the question.
And now, because there is facts, anyone's opinion is thrown out the door, because we have facts! as to why that is.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 4:33 pm

Krystine, you're right, this is confusing. I did ask for opinions. Somewhere on the top of the board I will create a sticky that says this:

Opinions are welcome in every discussion. However, here is the ideal format for a debate/discussion:

Poster A posts an opinion.
Poster B posts facts/evidence showing Poster A's opinion to be false.
If Poster A STILL BELIEVES their opinion is correct even in the light of contradictory evidence,
Poster A should present facts/evidence on their side to bolster their argument.
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptySat May 17, 2008 4:42 pm

In other words, if your opinion is based off of something that is not true, and you know it and still feel that way, then you're just stupid and can't even hide under the banner of ignorance anymore.

[Love you, Jincksy, glad you are back. *heart*]
Back to top Go down
Zeb

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptySat May 17, 2008 5:27 pm

futureshock wrote:
Krystine, I like you a lot as a person, so keep that in mind as you read this post, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU PERSONALLY:

Blah, Blah, Blah

DISCLAIMER FOR THE IGNORANT:

I did not say all teen parents are bads parents, and I did not say all adult parents are good. Get a fucking grip before you bitch about that.

So which one is it?

If it's nothing to do with her personally, then it's a generalisation. Or if isn't about all teen parents then it's a specific comment aimed at her.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptySun May 18, 2008 8:50 am

Zeb wrote:
futureshock wrote:
Krystine, I like you a lot as a person, so keep that in mind as you read this post, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU PERSONALLY:

Blah, Blah, Blah

I did not say all teen parents are bads parents, and I did not say all adult parents are good. Get a fucking grip before you bitch about that.

So which one is it?

If it's nothing to do with her personally, then it's a generalisation. Or if isn't about all teen parents then it's a specific comment aimed at her.

Yes, it is a generalization, the kind that doesn't mean every single one of whatever is being generalized:

prevailing among and common to the general public; "the
general discontent"

Common to many, or the greatest number; widely spread;
prevalent; extensive, though not universal; as, a general
opinion; a general custom.

I edited so it can read as it was meant to read, as an example:

futureshock wrote:

The sheer, unadulterated ignorance displayed in this thread by a teen, is an example of what terrifies me about many teen parents. On one hand, a teen is still a child in school, so she is not expected to know everything an adult knows about the real world, i.e. mental illness, homelessness, alcoholism, drug abuse, etc. So I am not shocked or appalled at what she has to say on these subjects given her age, etc.

On the other hand, she is about to become someone's mother, and in that light she should have at least as much knowledge as the average adult to to do that job adequately. Well she clearly doesn't have such knowledge, so that will be a detriment to her child from day one.

The bottom line is, I know many people get very defensive on the subject of teen parenthood, but you have to admit there are reasons why most of society thinks it is a bad idea.

I hope that clarifies the post.
Back to top Go down
Jincks013

Jincks013

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptySun May 18, 2008 11:23 pm

So basically unless someone supports your idea that teen parenting is bad they are ignorant then Future? Since I was 19 when I concieved BD I think you are full of shit. Now I can be called many things but ignorant isn't one of them. Grow up for fucks sake.
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 10:39 am

Futureshock, note that if someone is ignorant, then are not going to understand your disclaimer. See post above.

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Jincks013

Jincks013

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:09 am

Erulissė wrote:
Futureshock, note that if someone is ignorant, then are not going to understand your disclaimer. See post above.

Rolling Eyes
Bitch.
Back to top Go down
Jincks013

Jincks013

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:12 am

I am so glad to see you are joining future's crusade against young mothers. Ya. I guess ignorance, especially willful, really is difficult to understand. I don't understand yours cunt.
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 2:28 pm

Here is the disclaimer you did not understand, Jincks:
Quote :
I did not say all teen parents are bads parents, and I did not say all adult parents are good.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 3:06 pm

...how did this jump from a topic about how people cause their own poverty, to some teens/adults not being good parents...
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 3:09 pm

Jincks013 wrote:
So basically unless someone supports your idea that teen parenting is bad they are ignorant then Future? Since I was 19 when I concieved BD I think you are full of shit. Now I can be called many things but ignorant isn't one of them. Grow up for fucks sake.

First of all, 19 is a legal adult. By "teen" I mean under 18, still living at home, still in school, etc.

Second, you are ignorant if you assume I am saying all teen parents are bad and all adults are good parents.

Quote :

Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Erulissė wrote:

Rolling Eyes

It's a conundrum.
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:17 pm

krystineM wrote:
...how did this jump from a topic about how people cause their own poverty, to some teens/adults not being good parents...

Laughing Good point! cherry
Back to top Go down
Zeb

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:25 pm

krystineM wrote:

Because Future decided to connect your views on poverty with your teen pregnancy and use it to have yet another dig at teen parents. Not exactly a new phenomenon.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 9:55 pm

meh im pretty used to it.
it seems that if someone can't accept one person's way of thinking about something, they throw a jab at them to try and tear them down, or get them worked up to start an argument or fight. so what can you do right?

and FYI future, 18 is legal adult. you may live at home, you may go to school but you are STILL classes as a legal adult.
Your charged as an adult. You have responsibilities as an adult. You vote as an adult.
It doesn't mean that just because you can't buy beer, or cigarettes that your not an adult! lol some adults dont even drink or smoke!
Yes, some may act immature, some may still run around like kids and goof off and whatever.
But in the legal eye, they are adults.

Im not going to think EXACTALY like you, i think that you need to understand that for one.
EVERYONE has a different opinion on something, and just because they go by what they actually SEE does not make them an incapable parent. Hell, some of the time, those facts that you hold onto so dearly, are actually just a bunch of facts from a group of peoples' OPINIONS, and not from everyone on the face of the earth.

Its amazing how you think one way about teen parenting, applaud them for staying strong through it all, but then in the blink of an eye, change and pretty much in a way bash them for being pregnant as a teen.
Not everyone's decision is going to be abortion or adoption.
We all have our own minds, we're not all going to think and act the way you do.
Its great you never had a teen pregnancy, and that you waited to have children. But for some, it wasn't planned, and when they found out, they made the decision to keep their child and raise that child themselves. And shame on you for making them feel uncapable of doing so just because they dont spend all day looking up FACTS to why someone is fucking poor.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:36 pm

I realize 18 is a legal adult. I mentioned 19 to Jincks because she was 19 when she became a parent.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------

I think teen parents (and anyone else for that matter) are delusional if they disagree with this statement:

Being a teen parent is not something anyone should aspire to.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:48 pm

its not something anyone should aspire to, but it happens, and teens make the best of it.
work out a plan, and make ends meet as they go.
most times, its not planned either. yes some are, but most of the time, they are not planned, but people are against abortion or would not consider one, and would not consider adoption either.
i dont think that in many cases it is something that people set goals to do or write it down on a to do list and check it off when they've accomplished that goal.

but, some do actually plan it out when their a teen, which i am also shocked about, but if thats what they want to do, if they feel they can handle it, if they can do it financially, by all means, go a head. There is no law that says you cant plan out a pregnancy as a teen.

i think the ones who did plan out a pregnancy as a teen will fight you on that one though future. I didn't plan my pregnancy out, but some actually do which you informed me of long ago. And they would take offense to that, and stand up for themselves.

again, not everyone thinks/feels the way you do about certain topics. and it does not make them delusional if they do so.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 6:12 am

krystineM wrote:
its not something anyone should aspire to, but it happens, and teens make the best of it.
work out a plan, and make ends meet as they go.
most times, its not planned either. yes some are, but most of the time, they are not planned, but people are against abortion or would not consider one, and would not consider adoption either.
i dont think that in many cases it is something that people set goals to do or write it down on a to do list and check it off when they've accomplished that goal.
I agree with all of that.
Quote :

but, some do actually plan it out when their a teen, which i am also shocked about, but if thats what they want to do, if they feel they can handle it, if they can do it financially, by all means, go a head. There is no law that says you cant plan out a pregnancy as a teen.

i think the ones who did plan out a pregnancy as a teen will fight you on that one though future. I didn't plan my pregnancy out, but some actually do which you informed me of long ago. And they would take offense to that, and stand up for themselves.
Those are the people to whom I am speaking when I discuss the detriments of teen parenthood.
Quote :

again, not everyone thinks/feels the way you do about certain topics.
I realize this.
Quote :
and it does not make them delusional if they do so.
It is my opinion that certain people are delusional for certain beliefs they hold.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:36 am

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :
Those are the people to whom I am speaking when I discuss the detriments of teen parenthood.

..so those are the people who are the bad teen parents then? all because they planned our bringing a child into the world?
for all you know, like i said above, they could be just as fit to parent and plan our their pregnancy, just like a couple of an older age.
..but because their young they are bad teen parents?
dont judge others for their decision future. its great to have your own opinion on the matter, but dont criticize someone as a bad parent for planning out a pregnancy as a teen. they could be just as fit to parent like you.
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 11:45 am

Having worked with people whose parents have really, really, really screwed them up, I think it's absolutely important that people NOT have children until they are emotionally mature and understand the enormity of the responsibility they have taken on.

Teenagers are seldom able to have this insight. It is not an insult; it is simply a part of their development level.

Ideally, I hope that every pregnant teen couple/parent has backup en masse from competent adults.

Krystine, you have shown the ability to grow and learn. I hope you continue to do so!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?   Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Do Poor People Cause Their Own Poverty?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next