All Drama All of the Time
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss and debate all subjects, including abortion, teen pregnancy, euthanasia, and politics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

update on baby :)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
krystineM

krystineM

update on baby :) Empty
PostSubject: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 8:06 am

my mom said she used to give my fennel tea as a baby because i was colic too.
its safe for babies and is natural, it helps the digestive system and calms them a little.
you give only a tsp. as needed and keep it in the fridge.
i also found out that you can give chamomile tea is ok to give aswell as long as you dont make it strong and dilute it a little then cool it and give a tsp. as needed as well.
maybe this will help my little guy out *crosses fingers*

my son has his night and day mixed up too.
he's up from like 11pm till 6:30am each night.
i try keeping him up during the day time, but since hes been up all night, he can sleep through anything.
did anyone else have this problem?
im going to try to keep him up as much as possible today and continue to do this for the rest of the week.
maybe by the end of the week he'll sleep better..i hope!
any tips would be great though Smile
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 8:49 pm

The only thing that helped my DD was a mechanical rocking bassinet. It rocked her all night long, and she slept through the night. She was a few months older than your infant, though. You have practically a newborn so sleepless nights are part of the deal no matter what.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 10:34 pm

i usually rock him till hes asleep then play music.
i know sleepless nights are part of the whole package.
i was wondering if there was any tips on getting an infants internal clock in order.
getting their nights and days corrected you know.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 1:31 am

How much is he sleeping during the day, and how much at night?

What does your mother say about this, and are you able to ask George's mother for advice?
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 6:52 am

he wakes up about 3 times during the day then the rest of the time is sleeping.
he'll sleep like..3-4 hours or so at a time or so.
my mom and george's mom both say to try keeping him up during the day time.
but when hes sleeping he doesnt get up know matter what i do
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 11:33 am

I would just ride this phase out with him. He needs the sleep, so I wouldn't be trying to wake him up. That's just my opinion. You should sleep when he does. That's what many mothers do, that's what I did.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 3:16 pm

i do sleep when he does, but then the minute the evening time roles around hes up.
he'll cry a bit, eat a bit, look around a little then at a certain time he'll cry for hours on end.
and this sometimes lasts from 11pm till 6am in the morning.
then at like 6am in the morning he'll sleep.
so in between all that time, im up with him so if there is some way i could or can fix this night and day thing with him,
id take that over being a complete mess trying to calm him and settle him down for hours and hours.
if i keep him up during say...5pm till about 7 or so he might become more tired and actually sleep for a decent time at night, maybe for 3 hours then want to eat, then after changing and feeding him he might go back to sleep again and sleep for another few hours during the night, instead of being wide awake in the middle of the night or crying all night long.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 3:40 pm

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 5:44 pm

That was an excellent article. Here's an interesting part (but krystne, you should really read the whole thing):
Quote :

5. Nightwaking has survival benefits. In the first few months, babies' needs are the highest, but their ability to communicate their needs is the lowest. Suppose a baby slept deeply most of the night. Some basic needs would go unfulfilled. Tiny babies have tiny tummies, and mother's milk is digested very rapidly. If a baby's stimulus for hunger could not easily arouse her, this would not be good for baby's survival. If baby's nose was stuffed and she could not breathe, or was cold and needed warmth, and her sleep state was so deep that she could not communicate her needs, her survival would be jeopardized.

One thing we have learned during our years in pediatrics is that babies do what they do because they're designed that way. In the case of infant sleep, research suggests that active sleep protects babies. Suppose your baby sleeps like an adult, meaning predominantly deep sleep. Sounds wonderful! For you, perhaps, but not for baby. Suppose baby had a need for warmth, food, or even unobstructed air, but because he was sleeping so deeply he couldn't arouse to recognize and act on these needs. Baby's well being could be threatened. It appears that babies come wired with sleep patterns that enable them to awaken in response to circumstances that threaten their well being. We believe, and research supports, that frequent stages of active (REM) sleep serve the best physiologic interest of babies during the early months, when their well being is most threatened.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 6:03 pm

Remember that the womb is dark so some babies aren't used to the light and don't know night from day when they get out. I would just suggest trying to keep the baby up as much as possible during the day so he will sleep at night. My little one still gets up to eat during the night, but I never have an issue with him going back to sleep.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 8:45 pm

we kept him up last night and he slep from about 8pm till 11pm then ate at 11pm and slept till 2:30am then we fed him and he started falling asleep but was not fully asleep and then at 4am he was up till 7am-7:30am.
it was a better night than most nights though...
today we've kept him up for quite some time too, maybe we'll have an ok night again.

sometimes at night he'll want to eat then cry and cry and cry for hours.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 12:02 pm

Why is he crying for hours? What are the two of you doing while he is crying?
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 3:36 pm

Future, if you are implying that we are just sitting around letting him cry for hours on end you are wrong.
We are both trying to calm him down.
we feed him and burp him-he still cries
we change him-still cries
we rock him a little -hes calm for a bit then cries
we try feeding him again-cries
wrap him in a blanket-cries
hum a song to him-still cries
see if he needs changing-cries
hold him against my chest and rub his back- calm for a bit then cries
give him some Ovol drops- calm for a bit then cries
then he's wide awake from 5ish till 6ish or so and is playing on the bed with us although we are trying to get him to sleep but at this point its better than hearing him cry.
sometimes when we give him a warm bath he calms down but sometimes he still is cranky and cries.
we try to see if he needs anything that we can possibly think of.
then around 6am or so he starts to settle down and get tired slowly.

So we're doing everything we can possibly think of to settle him down, and we're not leting him cry in his crib for hours while we get some shut eye.
Im up every night with him while he is fussing and wide awake. My sister inlaw and mother inlaw are also up seeing if they can do something to calm him a little bit.
The night time just happens to be when he wants to be up and when he's most fussy.
Then the when morning time comes around he wants to sleep.
George is usually sleeping-trying to sleep-when or son is crying and up for hours only because he is a truck driver, is up at 3:30am to go to work and needs to be alert while doing his job. But if he hears him crying he does come to see if i need help. but i tell him to go to sleep.
I have found that the Fennel Seed Tea works a little bit and he is not as fussy and does not stay up as much but some nights there is no calming him know matter what you do. He's just a fussy baby with his nights and days mixed up. But we're doing our best to help correct his sleeping patterns which will take time and having patience while he is up at night for now.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Of course I didn't think you weren't doing anything, it is IMPOSSIBLE for parents to ignore a crying child.

I would say there is something definitely wrong and I would demand that your doctor get to the bottom of it. Your baby is suffering way too much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: update on baby :)   update on baby :) Empty

Back to top Go down

update on baby :)
Page 1 of 1