All Drama All of the Time
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss and debate all subjects, including abortion, teen pregnancy, euthanasia, and politics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
NorthStar

NorthStar

How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 3:30 pm

futureshock wrote:
It's about time I answered the question in the original post, lol!

50%

http://www.guttmacher.org/media/nr/prabort2.html

The study dealt just with the United States, not the whole world, and was done so long ago as to be of questionable usefulness.

Last edited by NorthStar on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NorthStar

NorthStar

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 3:56 pm

futureshock wrote:
A woman typically
spends roughly five years pregnant, postpartum or trying
to become pregnant and three decades trying to avoid
pregnancy (Figure 1.1). Contraceptives can be difficult to
use consistently and correctly, and 30 years is a long time
for a woman or a couple to do so flawlessly.

These problems are exactly why I am opposed to promoting most forms of contraception. The advocates of contraception invariably fail to factor in duration of use when describing the effectiveness of a form of contraception. But when duration of use is used as part of the equation, the results make clear that most forms of contraception have little potential for reducing the abortion rate. For example, over a thirty year span a condom's fifteen percent annual failure rate becomes a ninety-nine percent lifetime failure rate. The failure rate for oral contraceptives goes from eight percent to ninety-two percent. As comparison, most American women do not have abortions in their lifetimes.

Implanon is the only contraceptive device or method with the potential for substantially reducing the abortion rate among the women who most frequently obtain abortions.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 8:58 pm

NorthStar wrote:

These problems are exactly why I am opposed to promoting most forms of contraception. The advocates of contraception invariably fail to factor in duration of use when describing the effectiveness of a form of contraception. But when duration of use is used as part of the equation, the results make clear that most forms of contraception have little potential for reducing the abortion rate. For example, over a thirty year span a condom's fifteen percent annual failure rate becomes a ninety-nine percent lifetime failure rate. The failure rate for oral contraceptives goes from eight percent to ninety-two percent. As comparison, most American women do not have abortions in their lifetimes.

Implanon is the only contraceptive device or method with the potential for substantially reducing the abortion rate among the women who most frequently obtain abortions.

Who are the women who most frequently obtain abortions? Why is your problem with contraception? Why do seem so angry about it? Why not just say, "Hey! Guess what? There's a new, super reliable form of birth control available!"

Then everyone wlll want to try Implanon.
Back to top Go down
NorthStar

NorthStar

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 12:59 pm

futureshock wrote:
NorthStar wrote:

Who are the women who most frequently obtain abortions?

College-age women. Many of those women are too young to want to use a permanent method like sterilization. Also, many of them have not already had a child and, therefore, are not candidates for intra-uterine devices/systems.

Quote :
[What] is your problem with contraception?

As I stated, many forms of contraception have such high failure rates that they are of limited value. A ninety-nine percent failure rate seems pretty high to me.

Quote :
Why do seem so angry about it?

What gives you that impression?

Quote :
Why not just say, "Hey! Guess what? There's a new, super reliable form of birth control available!" Then everyone wlll want to try Implanon.

I do advocate greater use of Implanon. However, studies have shown that people tend to overestimate the effectiveness of barrier methods while underestimating the effectiveness of long-acting contraceptives. People need to understand that decisions with regard to which contraceptives are used are not limited to aesthetics. Also, Implanon is not without problems.

Furthermore, I do not think that efforts to reduce the number of abortions and undermine the other problems causing the high abortion rate should be limited to promoting and improving contraception. For example, I believe that the rampant illicit sexual activity that is leading to the high abortion rates also leading to more rapes. Contraception does nothing about that problem.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 4:08 pm

I found lots of articles showing the relationship between contraception and reduced abortion rates. Here is an interesting one:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0LJZ/is_4_21/ai_n18614856
Back to top Go down
NorthStar

NorthStar

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 11:59 am

futureshock wrote:
I found lots of articles showing the relationship between contraception and reduced abortion rates. Here is an interesting one:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0LJZ/is_4_21/ai_n18614856

I thought the evidence provided bolsters my belief that long-acting methods of contraception have the clear potential of reducing the abortion rate.

"In this study, the proportion of women using IUDs rose from 40 percent in the first postnatal year to 75 percent in the fifth postnatal year, while the abortion rate dropped from 20 abortions per 1,000 months of exposure to risk of pregnancy to almost zero."

They also pointed out that the Netherlands and Belgium- where long-acting methods are widely used- have the lowest abortion rates in the world.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 2:22 pm

These stats, including the "99%" stat NorthStar came up with when factoring in long term use, would be lot different if people stopped using contraception. The abortion rate would skyrocket.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2