All Drama All of the Time
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss and debate all subjects, including abortion, teen pregnancy, euthanasia, and politics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 12:22 pm

How many women in the world will? I mean over their entire reproductive lifetimes, from age say 15 to 45 (just an approximation), how many women will have at least one abortion during that time?

Please answer in percentages. Thanks.

The reason I ask this is that it seems to me that some pro-life people think abortion is:
1) rare
and
2) something that no one they know would ever do, or have ever done.
Back to top Go down
https://alldrama.rpg-board.net
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 7:56 pm

Isn't it something like one in three?
Back to top Go down
Jincks013

Jincks013

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 11:46 pm

Erulissė wrote:

nice percentage. Perhaps you meant 33%?
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 12:00 pm

Jincks013 wrote:
Erulissė wrote:

Goodness, you are an outstandingly brilliant and kind human being. Maybe you need some counseling for that anger management issue you are dealing with. Is it because you lost a child? That's awful. Maybe not for them, though-I mean, look at how you treat people. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Jincks013

Jincks013

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 7:59 am

I treat you exactly as you treat others, I am glad to see the lesson is not lost. You are overly arrogant, mocking, condesending, patronzing and frankly a pain in the ass. Instead of engaging in real debate you resort to adhomien attacks, misinformation, outdated studies and equivocation errors.
You are so cocksure you are absolutely right about everything that there cannot be the slightest chance someone might have done something differently.
I'd almost swear you were a orthodox catholic priest with how intolerant and bigoted you are.

Need I remind you that you brought this on yourself? The actual argument was with Emma2 but you felt an overwhelming urge to just jump right into the middle of a longstanding dispute and start up with your typical antagonistic bullshit.
Why?
What did you hope to gain?

Next time you won't get so much shit on your shoes if you stay out of the pile m'kay? Trying to pretend innocense at this late date is amusing but like most of your bullshit hardly accurate.
At least I don't hide behind an alias. Coward.

Lemme know if you ever have an actual point to make.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 10:48 am

Erulissė wrote:
Jincks013 wrote:
Erulissė wrote:

Goodness, you are an outstandingly brilliant and kind human being. Maybe you need some counseling for that anger management issue you are dealing with. Is it because you lost a child? That's awful. Maybe not for them, though-I mean, look at how you treat people. Rolling Eyes

Whoa, this was really below the belt. pale
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 11:47 am

Jincks013 wrote:
I treat you exactly as you treat others, I am glad to see the lesson is not lost. You are overly arrogant, mocking, condesending, patronzing and frankly a pain in the ass. Instead of engaging in real debate you resort to adhomien attacks, misinformation, outdated studies and equivocation errors.
You are so cocksure you are absolutely right about everything that there cannot be the slightest chance someone might have done something differently.
I'd almost swear you were a orthodox catholic priest with how intolerant and bigoted you are.

Need I remind you that you brought this on yourself? The actual argument was with Emma2 but you felt an overwhelming urge to just jump right into the middle of a longstanding dispute and start up with your typical antagonistic bullshit.
Why?

Next time you won't get so much shit on your shoes if you stay out of the pile m'kay? Trying to pretend innocense at this late date is amusing but like most of your bullshit hardly accurate.

Argument with Emma2? Alias? WTF? She didn't even post! "The lesson is not lost"? Where are you getting these ideas? Are you on the wrong topic or something?

What does any of this blathering have to do with abortion?!? Or how many women get abortions?

How do you feel about yourself; jumping down my throat from day one with ad hominum attacks (you set the tone in the political forum) and then when you get it back, you rail on me for doing the same thing you are?

And all that stuff you're saying about cocky and arrogant...it doesn't bother me, because I'd actually have to respect you for it to have an impact. Your opinion is like Roadkill Cafe Special #1 to me.

You let your insecurity get the better of you.

[quote=futureshock]Whoa, this was really below the belt. [/quote]

Only if you think Jincks doesn't have an anger management problem. And seriously, look at how Jincks treats people. Would you want a kid to grow up in that environment?
Back to top Go down
Jincks013

Jincks013

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 11:02 pm

futureshock wrote:
Erulissė wrote:
Jincks013 wrote:
Erulissė wrote:

Whoa, this was really below the belt. pale

Its ok Future I know who this coward is. Only a pale faced bitch like her would use something as personal and hurtful but it has effectively realeased me of any attempt at civility.. so .. next post..
Back to top Go down
Jincks013

Jincks013

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 11:24 pm

Erulissė wrote:
Jincks013 wrote:

Why?

Argument with Emma2? Alias? WTF? She didn't even post! "The lesson is not lost"? Where are you getting these ideas? Are you on the wrong topic or something?

What does any of this blathering have to do with abortion?!? Or how many women get abortions?

How do you feel about yourself; jumping down my throat from day one with ad hominum attacks (you set the tone in the political forum) and then when you get it back, you rail on me for doing the same thing you are?

And all that stuff you're saying about cocky and arrogant...it doesn't bother me, because I'd actually have to respect you for it to have an impact. Your opinion is like Roadkill Cafe Special #1 to me.

You let your insecurity get the better of you.

[quote=futureshock]Whoa, this was really below the belt.

Quote :
Only if you think Jincks doesn't have an anger management problem. And seriously, look at how Jincks treats people. Would you want a kid to grow up in that environment?
[/quote]

Oh, dear.

I'm sorry.

Had I known you were handicapped, I wouldn't have said all those nasty things about you.

I apologise, and will be nice from now on.
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 1:38 am

Jincks013 wrote:

Its ok Future I know who this coward is. Only a pale faced bitch like her would use something as personal and hurtful but it has effectively realeased me of any attempt at civility.. so .. next post..

I laugh at playground bullies with low self-esteem. Then I feel bad for them.

They usually end up divorced and overweight. Are you, by any chance?

You should get a refund for that crash course on being a Psychic Hotline whore. I have no idea why you went at me with all claws out from your first post, and some of this stuff you've referenced clearly shows you think I am someone else, but hey, babe, you've started it, you're a big girl, and you get what you deserve from me.

How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? Devil-Hillary-Clinton--33964
Back to top Go down
Jincks013

Jincks013

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 7:06 am

Erulissė wrote:
Jincks013 wrote:

I laugh at playground bullies with low self-esteem. Then I feel bad for them.

They usually end up divorced and overweight. Are you, by any chance?

You should get a refund for that crash course on being a Psychic Hotline whore. I have no idea why you went at me with all claws out from your first post, and some of this stuff you've referenced clearly shows you think I am someone else, but hey, babe, you've started it, you're a big girl, and you get what you deserve from me.

How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? Devil-Hillary-Clinton--33964

Hey coward tree girl..
Ya you.. the freak of the week who thinks she’s gotten ‘cool’ with slinging insults. Education time fart fodder. Don't be afraid, archaic sexist underfed idiocy lamely disguised as reasoning when in fact your game sucks balls, well sperm dumpster, this is your chance to live up to your word.
At least you know when you are out of your league and higher brain functions are an impossible challenge to you. Your fuckups are enough to make a special ed student look like Albert Einstein.
You really need to go back to your padded room and resolve your own issues before you try to deal with any issues that anybody else may or may not have.
Is it part of your community service for getting caught sniffing the Bumper car seats that you have to post and expose your witless oneline tripe and total lack of grace on a daily basis?
I'd stick around and chat but frankly I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Buhbye..
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 8:34 am

Just to clear things up, there is no way that Erulissė is a person who frequents another board that Jincks and I visit. (Other than ehealth, that is.) Unless there is some sort of freakish coincidence, that is. Surprised
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 10:27 am

Jincks013 wrote:
Being "nice" and "attemping civility".

I'll take that as a yes...you are overweight and divorced!!!

futureshock wrote:
Just to clear things up, there is no way that Erulissė is a person who frequents another board that Jincks and I visit. (Other than ehealth, that is.) Unless there is some sort of freakish coincidence, that is.

(I've just been operating under the assumption this is a joke or a game. Basketball)
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 11:54 pm

It's about time I answered the question in the original post, lol!

50%

Quote :
About half of all U.S. women will have an abortion at some point in their lives.
Other key demographics:

Quote :
two-thirds of women having abortions intend to have children in the future;

• Catholic women have an abortion rate 29% higher than Protestant women;

• one in five women having abortions are born-again or Evangelical Christians;

• single women who live with their partner or have no religious affiliation are about four times as likely as other women their age to have an abortion;

• nonwhites, women aged 18-24, Hispanics, separated and never-married women and those who have an annual income of less than $15,000 or have Medicaid are twice as likely as women in the general population to do so; and,

• Hispanic women have a much higher abortion rate than white women, but their rate is not so high as that of black women.
source
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 10:39 am

Wow! I am really surprised. Are US women choosing not to use birth control?
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Erulissė wrote:

I read an explanation of this somewhere, I'll find it and post it.

Ok, here it is. About 11% of women having abortions were not using bc the month they got pregnant, 52% of abortions occur in this group of women. See the following for details:
Quote :

"Americans want small families, as is increasingly the case
around the world (see Lessons From Abroad). The typical
American woman today wants two children over the
course of her lifetime and practices contraception to
achieve that goal. The Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC) describes contraceptive use as “virtually
universal among women of reproductive age.”3 Indeed,
98% of sexually experienced American women have used
a contraceptive method at some point in their lives.
But achieving this goal is no easy task. A woman typically
spends roughly five years pregnant, postpartum or trying
to become pregnant and three decades trying to avoid
pregnancy (Figure 1.1).4 Contraceptives can be difficult to
use consistently and correctly, and 30 years is a long time
for a woman or a couple to do so flawlessly.

One in four women at risk of unintended pregnancy (i.e., women who
are sexually active and able to get pregnant, but who are
not trying to do so) report having had at least a one-month
gap in their contraceptive use in the last year.5 But no
contraceptive method is perfect, even if used correctly and
consistently.

Thus, unintended pregnancy can occur both among those
using and those not using a contraceptive method; however,
the pregnancy rates of these two groups are very different.
6 A woman’s chance of becoming pregnant in the
absence of contraception is so great that 52% of the
unplanned pregnancies each year occur to the 11% of
women at risk who report not using a method the month
they became pregnant (Figure 1.2, page Cool.7

The other 48% occur to the 89% of at-risk women who report that they
used a contraceptive method at some point during the
month they became pregnant, but may not have used it
consistently or correctly.

Each year, more than six million American women—one in
every 10 women of reproductive age (15–44)—become pregnant,
and almost half of those pregnancies are unintentional.
8 In fact, if current rates continue, nearly half of all
American women will face an unintended pregnancy at
some point in their lives.9 And although unplanned pregnancy
affects all types of American women, a greater proportion
of women from certain groups than from others
become pregnant unintentionally: women of color and those
who are young, unmarried or poor (Figure 1.3, page 9).10"
source

Interesting comparisons:
Worldwide lifetime abortion rate: 2.5 abortions per woman. (250%)
U.S. lifetime abortion rate: .5 abortions per woman. (50%)

Quote :
Even when private-sector abortions are excluded, the total abortion rate indicates that the average woman would have 2.5 abortions during her lifetime if the abortion rate were to remain at this level.

Australia and the United States (22–23 per 1,000)

Although abortion is illegal in all of these countries, the estimated annual rate of abortion ranges from 23 per 1,000 women aged 15–44 in Egypt to 56 per 1,000 in Peru

3–15 women out of every 1,000 are hospitalized each year for treatment of complications from an induced abortion.
source

Last edited by futureshock on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jincks013

Jincks013

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 12:50 pm

Erulissė wrote:
Jincks013 wrote:
Being "nice" and "attemping civility".

I'll take that as a yes...you are overweight and divorced!!!

futureshock wrote:
Just to clear things up, there is no way that Erulissė is a person who frequents another board that Jincks and I visit. (Other than ehealth, that is.) Unless there is some sort of freakish coincidence, that is.

(I've just been operating under the assumption this is a joke or a game. Basketball)

Do you ever wonder what life would be like if you'd had enough oxygen at birth?
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 7:18 pm

futureshock wrote:

I read an explanation of this somewhere, I'll find it and post it.

Contraceptives can be difficult to
use consistently and correctly, and 30 years is a long time
for a woman or a couple to do so flawlessly.

Good point. Hadn't really thought about this perspective before. Thank you for posting it.

futureshock wrote:

Interesting comparisons:
Worldwide lifetime abortion rate: 2.5 abortions per woman. (250%)
U.S. lifetime abortion rate: .5 abortions per woman. (50%)

This got me to thinking about herbal abortions for some reason. I don't know how accurate these stats are if you consider this kind of abortion is never really reported.

Do you know anything about herbal abortions futureshock?
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 7:20 pm

Jincks013 wrote:

Blowing hot air out her blubbery blowhole.

How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? Blue_whale
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 10:47 pm

Erulissė wrote:

Do you know anything about herbal abortions futureshock?

Only that they have been used since the beginning of civilization. Maybe this will help, click on the word "source" at the end to read more:

Quote :
Abortifacient Herbs

Herbs have been used by women since the beginning of time in an attempt to control their fertility. The information was passed from mother to daughter, midwives and wise women all possessed this knowledge. Starting in the 1300's on up through the 1800's possessing the knowledge of which herbs caused a woman to abort/miscarry became very dangerous, if discovered a woman would be accused of being a witch and tortured to death. Over time those who knew how to safely and effectively use these herbs were murdered or frightened into silence, terror which persisted for about 500 years.

Today clues to this once common knowledge remain,1 the names of plants which can cause abortion were preserved orally and in old books, mostly written and published by men, who's working knowledge of these plants was limited, so it seems. We are left to piece together the clues they left behind and are working to regain the knowledge of how to harvest and prepare, how much to take and what combinations are most effective. There is still much we do not know about using these herbs. But each day we learn a little bit more about them, as we experiment with them on ourselves as our ancient grandmothers did long ago.

source
Back to top Go down
Jincks013

Jincks013

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 8:07 am

How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? Ugly_girl you are so ugly that when you were a kid I bet your mama had to tie a steak around your neck to get the dog to play with you
Back to top Go down
Jincks013

Jincks013

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Erulissė wrote:

Didn't work for your parents did it?
Back to top Go down
NorthStar

NorthStar

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 11:00 pm

I have never understood why administrators cannot see garbage posts and garbage posters when they make themselves so obvious. Take out the trash for heaven's sake!
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 12:28 am

NorthStar wrote:
I have never understood why administrators cannot see garbage posts and garbage posters when they make themselves so obvious. Take out the trash for heaven's sake!

The reason we started this forum was because we were at another forum, ehealth, which was so over-moderated, it wasn't even funny, and so we rebelled. We wanted a place to go to have freedom of speech and not worry about moderators nitpicking what we wanted to say.

If I ever saw anyone threaten anyone in real life, or that sort of thing, I would pounce on it, though.
Back to top Go down
NorthStar

NorthStar

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 3:15 pm

futureshock wrote:
NorthStar wrote:

The reason we started this forum was because we were at another forum, ehealth, which was so over-moderated, it wasn't even funny, and so we rebelled. We wanted a place to go to have freedom of speech and not worry about moderators nitpicking what we wanted to say.

If I ever saw anyone threaten anyone in real life, or that sort of thing, I would pounce on it, though.

But you hardly need a forum to have freedom of speech and not worry about moderators nitpicking what you want to say. You can go into a room, close the door, and blather at random.

What I think you really want is a place to be heard. Nobody will read messages on a forum that is filled with low-quality posts any more than people will watch low quality television or read a low-quality newspaper.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?   How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion? Empty

Back to top Go down

How Many Women In the U.S. Will Have An Abortion?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next