All Drama All of the Time
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss and debate all subjects, including abortion, teen pregnancy, euthanasia, and politics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding

Go down 
+8
Zeb
RebelCats
Emma2
Reptar
Jincks013
futureshock
krystineM
Admin
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
RebelCats

RebelCats

Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 6:23 pm

xwoman74 wrote:

RebelCats wrote:
He was born with a soft palate cleft.

I can't even being to tell you what health benefits he would have rec'd with breastfeeding.

I'm not trying to bash... I just feel, personally, a lot of mother's get a lot of misinformation about nursing because doctor's are very uneducated about it. I went to a LC, not my ped for nursing help when I needed it. I don't even believe ped's are required to take breastfeeding courses for the degrees.

i am sorry but have you ever had a child with a cleft palate? If not you have no idea how it was with my son and many other children born like this. My son had no suction period. i could not even use a regular bottle to feed him. I had to use a special squeezable bottle just to feed him. Yes I acknowledge the health benefits of breast feeding but with all his other issues I had to deal with I chose not to take that route I chose formula feeding.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 6:37 pm

there's nothing wrong with that.
some think its a bad thing to feed formula instead of breast milk, nurses expecially pressure women to breast feed.
they only pressure to do it because it helps the baby's immune system and all that.
but in the end its your decision to do so.
in your case, it was probably easier since you had to feed your son with a squeeze bottle.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:42 pm

krystineM wrote:
nurses expecially pressure women to breast feed.

Really? What makes you say that?
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:49 pm

from what my sister inlaw told me about our cousin.
our cousin had a hard time breast feeding with her first born, they showed her all different ways to breast feed, [when you dont really need someone to tell you what ways, its what feels comfortable to you, and you'll know if the baby is getting milk or not] her nipple was bruised and she decided to give the baby formula instead and they really pressured her to breast feed and were a little rude about her decision to give formula instead.
Back to top Go down
RebelCats

RebelCats

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:53 pm

I was never pressured to breast feed any of my boys by any of the nurses. Most of them understood this was my choice to make not theirs. All my kids had good immune systems for the most part. My youngest got sick with RSV when he was under 2 weeks old. After investigating talking to other mothers that had kids on that same day (and had the same virus) we determined that this was something he caught within the four walls of that hospital. Other than that not a bit of problems.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 8:08 pm

i guess some hospitals or places are different.
did your youngest get better?
thats terrible that all those babies had caught it too.
i hate hospitals...
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 11:51 pm

I hate hospitals, too.

I wish nurses in the U.S. really did encourage breast feeding, or at least talk about it a little more than they do. It was barely mentioned when I had a baby. If I could go back in time I would breast feed.
Back to top Go down
RebelCats

RebelCats

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 6:08 am

It took a month in the hospital (a different one than he was born in) for him to get better. He is now 4 1/2 years old and starts Pre-K in August.

krystineM wrote:
i guess some hospitals or places are different.
did your youngest get better?
thats terrible that all those babies had caught it too.
i hate hospitals...
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 7:21 am

thats good that he got better, its terrible that an air born sickness was around at that time.
its good they mention it, but not necessary to harp about breast feeding when its someone's personal choice.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 10:36 pm

RebelCats wrote:
i am sorry but have you ever had a child with a cleft palate?

No, and it doesn't matter. My opinion still holds.

RebelCats wrote:
If not you have no idea how it was with my son and many other children born like this.

I work in the field and can have an opinion on it regardless.

RebelCats wrote:
Yes I acknowledge the health benefits of breast feeding but with all his other issues I had to deal with I chose not to take that route I chose formula feeding.

You had other choices, such as pumping and feeding him EBM vs formula.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 10:38 pm

futureshock wrote:
Are you saying that while both cow and human milk contain lactose, albeit in different quantities, when people are "lactose intolerant" it pertains only to cow milk?

The majority of the time when a child is labeled lactose intolerant, it is because of the mother's intake of cow's milk.
Back to top Go down
Erulissė

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 10:23 am

xwoman74 wrote:
futureshock wrote:
Are you saying that while both cow and human milk contain lactose, albeit in different quantities, when people are "lactose intolerant" it pertains only to cow milk?

The majority of the time when a child is labeled lactose intolerant, it is because of the mother's intake of cow's milk.

That is very interesting. Thank you for posting it.

I personally believe that all adult humans are lactose intolerant due to the negative effects of dairy products on our health.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 10:59 am

xwoman74 wrote:
futureshock wrote:

But why wouldn't the infant be intolerant to the lactose in the mother's milk, (if the mother did not drink any cow's milk)?
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptySat May 31, 2008 9:09 am

futureshock wrote:
But why wouldn't the infant be intolerant to the lactose in the mother's milk, (if the mother did not drink any cow's milk)?

Different type of lactose. Humans produce pareve milk. Cows produce dairy milk.

I will get some information for you when I can... RL is taking over today!
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptySat May 31, 2008 10:49 am

Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptySat May 31, 2008 10:59 am

http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,70jn,00.html

LI isn't an allergy, but the inability to digest lactose. Kind of like diabetes and the inability to breakdown sugars. You're not allergic to the sugar, just that your body has problems breaking the sugars down. I'm trying to get more information for you. It is interesting stuff.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptySat May 31, 2008 1:52 pm

Thanks for that link, it explains a lot. I understand now what you mean about the baby being sensitive to the cow's milk the mother drinks.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 7:37 am

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/pediatricks/dairy.asp
Back to top Go down
NorthStar

NorthStar

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Admin wrote:
Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding, which one do you prefer?

Breastfeeding.

Quote :
Why?

Personal preference. Not that it has ever happened; but if a woman did offer to let me drink from her breast, I think I would prefer it over drinking out of a bottle.

Quote :
How strongly do you feel about it?

Very.
Back to top Go down
NorthStar

NorthStar

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 11:38 pm

xwoman74 wrote:
Jincks013 wrote:
Later we figured out she was lactose intolerant.

Lactose is a byproduct from dairy milk, J. You are not a cow. She may have had a different type of enzyme intolerance?

No, I think lactose applies to all forms of milk. I am an IRS agent and I recently audited a guy who designe d lactose plants. From what he said, it sounded like lactose intolerance applies to all forms of milk.
Back to top Go down
NorthStar

NorthStar

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 11:40 pm

This thread needs visual aids. That would help to better understand the issue.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 4:08 pm

lol!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Danielle

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 1:56 am

Northstar, you being an IRS agent explains everything...
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 11:44 am

OMG he is not! REALLY???
Back to top Go down
NorthStar

NorthStar

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 12:51 pm

Danielle wrote:
Northstar, you being an IRS agent explains everything...

How so?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding   Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Drama All of the Time :: Debate :: Parenting Debate-
Jump to: