All Drama All of the Time
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss and debate all subjects, including abortion, teen pregnancy, euthanasia, and politics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Any suggestions?

Go down 
+2
xwoman74
krystineM
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
krystineM

krystineM

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 6:47 pm

My son is now 3 weeks old and has colic.
He's worse at night time, most people have told me that its common for colic babies to be worse at night.
We have been giving him Gripe Water, and it seems to help a little bit, but sometimes he just cries and cries and nothing can sooth him.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we could do or give him to help?
Did anyone here have a colic baby?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 8:30 am

Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding?
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 2:28 pm

i wanted to breast feed i tried but he wasn't latching on and he would cry because he wasn't getting anything
and the nurses at the hospital where i delivered him were not very helpful in supporting me to breast feed and helping me get him to latch on.
i went to a breast feeding clinic as well and he still was not taking, so im formula feeding him. I would have liked to breast feed him, we gave him some of the colostrom and i was pumping for a while, but he would still cry histerically and throw up the breast milk. So he's on formula.
Back to top Go down
RebelCats

RebelCats

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 2:33 pm

Is he in regular formula or soy. All but one of my boys had to be on soy formula because they just could not digest regular formula.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 2:37 pm

my son is the same way.
the regular formula was to heavy and was hurting his tummy so we're giving him lactose free Enfamil
Formula
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 2:55 pm

My husband tape recorded our daughter when she was crying from "colic". We both had a feeling that something was really wrong, and could not stand to see our infant suffer so terribly.

Our pediatrician was glad that we did that because he determined there was something worse going on than just "colic"*.

Our DD was having trouble moving her bowels after eating, so she had horrible stomach aches. Her doc had us add cereal and baby food prunes to her formula, and that worked like a charm. She was very little when we made this change, like I don't think even 2 months old. It also helped her sleep through the night because she was not waking up from hunger.

My advice is DO NOT GIVE UP. Insist on your doctor doing something or recommending some course of action until your infant's suffering is relieved. Babies cry for a reason.

*What does colic even mean, anyway?
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 4:02 pm

colic is caused from gas bubbles in the babies stomach which cannot be broken down. it becomes painful and makes them cry uncontrolably.
which is why they call it colic.

we've given him Ovol Drops, its supposed to be good for colic babies and help break down the gas bubbles and help their tummy aches.
it seems to help him a little.
He has no problem eating, this little one is always wanting food lol he eats ever 2-3 hours or so.
i'll talk to my doctor and see what he recommends we do.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 7:31 pm

futureshock wrote:
It also helped her sleep through the night because she was not waking up from hunger.

Old wives tale. It isn't true. Some babies sleep through the night and some don't. It isn't about food though.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 8:47 pm

krystineM wrote:
which is why they call it colic

Not true. Colic is uncontrollable crying in a baby that has no known cause.

I personally don't believe in colic. I believe there is always a reason why the baby cries. My youngest would have been labeled colic. It took me a few weeks to figure out what was wrong and why he was so uncomfortable. I breastfeed exclusively, so I tried cutting foods out and stuff like that. Turned out to be the prenatal vitamins were causing the stomach pains.

You can try changing formulas. I would personally stay away from solid foods such as cereal. It can cause stomach problems (i.e., open gut) later in life. You could try infant massage. Try cycling with his legs. Rub his belly counter clockwise to help the intestines.

Also, he is only three weeks! Try putting him back on the breast. I had a friend stop nursing because of a poor lack recently. She continued to pump. So I asked her if she tries to nurse still. She thought I was fucking nuts. Guess what? Her little boy has been back on the breast for a month now and she is exclusively nursing him. cheers Get a nipple guard if you need for help. It is a silicone piece that you put over your nipple that helps with poor latches. Don't use it the entire feeding. Take if off after he gets the nipple out. It worked like a charm for me with my first.

Good luck. I know what you are going through with the crying spells. It sucked.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 8:34 am

i thought over what you said, and after thinking about what could be bothering him i've come to a conclusion that he may be crying because he is trying to push a bowel movement out. He does have bowel movements but its a little bit of a struggle for him sometimes.
its genetic, my babies father had problems having bowel movements when he was younger and so did my nephew.
we tried rubbing his legs to relieve the pain, someone had told my mother inlaw that massaging them may comfort them and help the pain, and it seemed to help, he didn't cry to much last night.
Also, i think i have dried up. Since we decided to switch to only formula i stopped pumping and only gave formula.

It does suck. Sometimes i want to cry because i dont know what he's crying for and i can't calm him down.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 9:45 am

krystineM wrote:
He does have bowel movements but its a little bit of a struggle for him sometimes.

Grip water did help with mine to get him to have bowel movements, but didn't stop the gas.

krystineM wrote:
Also, i think i have dried up. Since we decided to switch to only formula i stopped pumping and only gave formula.

If you really want to give BF'ing another chance, just put him on the boob. Relactation so early in the game is pretty successful.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 10:10 am

We're giving him something called Ovol its supposed to help gas and colic im not to sure how well its supposed to work but we're trying it out for now, it seems to help him sleep longer too and not have so much gas which is good.
i'll try but i think he might have gotten so used to the formula that he wont want the boob at all.
there's no work involved for how he's getting his food now, he just puts the nipple from the bottle in his mouth and there's the food.
if i give him my breast he'll have to work for it and he doesn't like that at all he just wants his food now and doesnt want to work for it
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 1:34 pm

krystineM wrote:
there's no work involved for how he's getting his food now, he just puts the nipple from the bottle in his mouth and there's the food.

The main reason bottles are bad for babies. Breastfeeding is more than just food. Making them work to suck is vital to proper jaw/mouth/tongue development.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 2:40 pm

i dont really think he has a problem sucking on a bottle or in general though.
he has a pascifire which incourages sucking jaw and mouth development as well.
i think the benefit of bottle feeding is that they get all the nutrients from breast milk which is good for the immune system.
but like i said, i would have liked to but he's gotten used to not having to work so much. he does suck the bottle, but there's just not that much work involved in getting what he's wanting--food.
the next time around when i have my second child-not anytime soon- i will try breastfeeding and hopefully get a little more help/support from the nurses at the hospital. But for my son, im sticking to the bottle, i've talked to my doctor about it and he has said its not a bad thing to bottle feed, and that i have to do what i think is best. i gave what i could, but after seeing him frustrated and not latching on, i thought it was best to bottle feed so i know that he is actually eating.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 3:07 pm

krystineM wrote:
i dont really think he has a problem sucking on a bottle or in general though.

Of course he doesn't. Bottles don't require the same type of sucking as a breast does. That is why it is easier for them to get food out of.

krystineM wrote:
he has a pascifire which incourages sucking jaw and mouth development as well.

Not anything like breastfeeding.

krystineM wrote:
i think the benefit of bottle feeding is that they get all the nutrients from breast milk which is good for the immune system.

How? You are formula feeding. He isn't getting breastmilk. He is getting cow's milk.

krystineM wrote:
but like i said, i would have liked to but he's gotten used to not having to work so much. he does suck the bottle, but there's just not that much work involved in getting what he's wanting--food.
the next time around when i have my second child-not anytime soon- i will try breastfeeding and hopefully get a little more help/support from the nurses at the hospital. But for my son, im sticking to the bottle, i've talked to my doctor about it and he has said its not a bad thing to bottle feed, and that i have to do what i think is best. i gave what i could, but after seeing him frustrated and not latching on, i thought it was best to bottle feed so i know that he is actually eating.

Then just say you don't want to breastfeed. Cuz that is what it boils down to.
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 3:15 pm

sorry i made a typo
the befefit of breastfeeding**
i was thinking bottle when i wrote that.

i really never said to much about breastfeeding, you had asked if i was breast or bottlefeeding,
but really my topic had been for colic/crying suggestions. so i was just answering what you had asked me...

my bf was saying that one of his friends kids cried alot and it turned out to be because of acid reflux.
we're going to go see a pedatrition for a second opinion on what we could do to help our son.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 3:47 pm

krystineM wrote:
but really my topic had been for colic/crying suggestions. so i was just answering what you had asked me...

And I was just suggesting that breastmilk may help. It is what your child is designed to eat. Not cow's milk.

krystineM wrote:
my bf was saying that one of his friends kids cried alot and it turned out to be because of acid reflux.

GERD. Is he throwing up a lot?
Back to top Go down
krystineM

krystineM

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 7:58 pm

no he keeps his food down, sometimes throws up but not at every meal or constantly.
i had mentioned the acid reflux because like future had said it could be other reasons as to why he is crying instead of colic.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 8:47 pm

krystineM wrote:
i had mentioned the acid reflux because like future had said it could be other reasons as to why he is crying instead of colic.

Some babies just have a difficult time adjust to life outside the womb. It may take a while for his digestive system to get in order. Is he better when you are holding him? Does he liked to be rocked? I know it sounds silly, but check his gums. Babies can teeth very early as well.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 4:54 am

xwoman74 wrote:
futureshock wrote:
It also helped her sleep through the night because she was not waking up from hunger.

Old wives tale. It isn't true. Some babies sleep through the night and some don't. It isn't about food though.

That's ridiculous, of of course it is about food when it's a newborn.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 4:58 am

xwoman74 wrote:

That's not how I interpreted what she said. I thought she said she did want to , tried, and in the end did what she thought worked best for her child.
Back to top Go down
futureshock

futureshock

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 5:05 am

Quote :
Colic
Definition

Colic is persistent, unexplained crying in a healthy baby between two weeks and five months of age.
Description
Colic, which is not a disease, affects 10-20% of all infants. It is more common in boys than in girls and most common in a family's first child. Symptoms of colic usually appear when a baby is 14-21 days old, reach a crescendo at the age of three months, and disappear within the next eight weeks. Episodes occur frequently but intermittently and usually begin with prolonged periods of crying in the late afternoon or evening. They can last for just a few minutes or continue for several hours. Some babies who have colic are simply fussy. Others cry so hard that their faces turn red, then pale.
Causes and symptoms
No one knows what causes colic. The condition may be the result of swallowing large amounts of air, which becomes trapped in the digestive tract and causes bloating and severe abdominal pain.
Other possible causes of colic include:
During a colicky episode, babies' bellies often look swollen, feel hard, and make a rumbling sound. Crying intensifies, tapers off, then gets louder. Many babies grow rigid, clench their fists, curl their toes, and draw their legs toward their body. A burp or a bowel movement can end an attack. Most babies who have colic do not seem to be in pain between attacks.
Diagnosis
Pediatricians and family physicians suspect colic in an infant who:
The baby's medical history and a parent's description of eating, sleeping, and crying patterns are used to confirm a diagnosis of colic. Physical examination and laboratory tests are used to rule out infection, intestinal blockage, and other conditions that can cause abdominal pain and other colic-like symptoms.
Treatment
Medications do not cure colic. Doctors sometimes recommend simethicone (Mylicon Drops) to relieve gas pain, but generally advise parents to take a practical approach to the problem.
Gently massaging the baby's back can release a trapped gas bubble, and holding the baby in a sitting position can help prevent air from being swallowed during feedings. Bottle-fed babies can swallow air if nipple holes are either too large or too small.
Nipple-hole size can be checked by filling a bottle with cold formula, turning it upside down, and counting the number of drops released when it is shaken or squeezed. A nipple hole that is the right size will release about one drop of formula every second.
Babies should not be fed every time they cry, but feeding and burping a baby more often may alleviate symptoms of colic. A bottle-fed baby should be burped after every ounce, and a baby who is breastfeeding should be burped every five minutes.
When cow's milk is the source of the symptoms, bottle-fed babies should be switched to a soy milk hydrolyzed protein formula. A woman whose baby is breastfeeding should eliminate dairy products from her diet for seven days, then gradually reintroduce them unless the baby's symptoms reappear.
Since intolerance to foods other than cow's milk may also lead to symptoms of colic, breastfeeding women may also relieve their babies' colic by eliminating from their diet:
Rocking a baby in a quiet, darkened room can prevent overstimulation, and a baby usually calms down when cuddled in a warm, soft blanket.
Colicky babies cry less when they are soothed by the motion of a wind-up swing, a car ride, or being carried in a parent's arms. Pacifiers can soothe babies who are upset, but a pacifier should never be attached to a string.
A doctor should be notified if a baby who has been diagnosed with colic:
Alternative treatment
Applying gentle pressure to the webbed area between the thumb and index finger of either hand can calm a crying child. So can gently massaging the area directly above the child's navel and the corresponding spot on the spine. Applying warm compresses or holding your hand firmly over the child's abdomen can relieve cramping.
Teas made with chamomile (Matricaria recutita), lemon balm (Melissa officinalis), peppermint (Mentha piperita), or dill (Anethum graveolens) can lessen bowel inflammation and reduce gas. A homeopathic combination called "colic" may be effective, and constitutional homeopathic treatment can help strengthen the child's entire constitution.

source
Back to top Go down
Danielle

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 5:31 am

You know what? Get over the breast feeding. I am not a fan of Krystine but it obviously did not work for her so at least she tried.

Damn boob Nazi
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 8:48 am

futureshock wrote:
xwoman74 wrote:
futureshock wrote:

That's ridiculous, of of course it is about food when it's a newborn.

Giving solid food to help babies sleep through the night is just a myth. Some babies sleep through the night better than others. Others don't.
Back to top Go down
xwoman74

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 8:55 am

futureshock wrote:
xwoman74 wrote:

That's not how I interpreted what she said. I thought she said she did want to , tried, and in the end did what she thought worked best for her child.

That is your opinion. With her child less than one month old, if she really wanted to nurse, she would get help from a LLC or go to the LLL. She doesn't want to and that is fine. I just hate listening to parents whine about stomach problems with the kids when they refuse to give them the food they were designed to eat. No wonder so many children have issues. We give them powdered cow's milk to drink instead of human milk. IMO, formula is the equal to giving a child fast food everyday, three times a day. Yes, I'm glad formula was invented for mother's that can't make milk or have babies that can't drink their milk. But formula is grossly overused for the most part. But that is just my personal opinion. I give my children the best and that is all I care about at the end of the day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any suggestions?   Any suggestions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any suggestions?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Drama All of the Time :: General :: Community Chat-
Jump to: